Monday, August 18, 2008

Bossy an All-Time Mike

I just flipped on SportsCenter to find them showing highlight clips of Mike Bossy. So stunned was I to see this that I immediately and melodramatically assumed that something terrible had happened. Why else would ESPN be talking about Mike Bossy? In the middle of August?

To my great relief, SportsCenter was simply featuring Boss as part of its Top Ten All-Time Athletes Named Michael. No. 22 ranked No. 9 on the list. I missed No. 10 and haven't yet found the list online, but I will try to add it later for your viewing pleasure.

Among the other great Michaels were Schmidt (another favorite of mine), Ditka, Krzyzewski, Tyson, Phelps, Johnson (I believe) and, at the top of the list, Jordan.

As much as I admire Krzyzewski's coaching career, I quibble with his inclusion on a list of great athletes. Coach K's playing career didn't advance beyond being captain of the basketball team at Army. Is there that much of a dearth of athletes named Michael that they had to include a coach? We'll have to think about that.

If I can procure the rest of the list we can debate the inclusions, exclusions, and order. But for now, a hearty "good job" to ESPN (did I just say that?) for not overlooking Mr. Bossy.

I know, not the most exciting news. But we have a full roster and a full coaching staff, and it's the middle of August.

No comments: